Melissa & Tim of barbecue. in Port Angeles, WA typically sell-out of their smoked YUM! before the dinner hour.
Thanks to them for sharing their special Baked Beans recipe with us - currently - unable to travel to Port Angeles in hopes of buying some!
barbecue. Baked Beans
Makes 12 1/2 cup servings
1 pound dried Great Northern beans
1 Tbl canola oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 oz brown sugar
6 Tbl molasses
6 Tbl barbecue. sauce (or any bbq sauce of your liking)
6 Tbl ketchup
3 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbl yellow mustard
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp tamarind
1 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke (optional)
1. Rinse beans and soak beans overnight in water to twice the height of the beans.
2. After soaking, rinse beans again. Add fresh water to the pot to cover the beans and bring to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer. Beans may take as long as 2 hours 30 minutes (depending on your pot and burner) to finish on a low simmer. Periodically test their doneness by squishing a cooled bean between your fingers or with the back of a spoon. Beans should be soft, but not mushy.
3. When beans are finished to your liking, drain beans and hold in a colander or another bowl.
4. In original pot, add canola oil and heat on medium. Sweat onions and bell pepper until just tender.
5. Add remaining ingredients (brown sugar through tamarind) to the pot and combine. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Slowly add cooked beans to the pot and mix gently. Over low heat, let beans heat through to infuse flavors to your preference, at least until the temp reaches 180 degrees.